Thursday, November 23, 2006

Braahmananum Bankum

Braahmananum Bankum

(Thoughts are usually repetitive; they at times reflect what you think is true, but may not be the truth itself.)
- Anonymous

My late father was a person whom people (except his grandchildren of course) loved to hate for his unbending principles, tenacity of purpose and meticulously disciplined life. Or else why would he at 93, even on that fateful night with that angina pain had to insist that he would (with no help) carefully fold on his own his heavy quilt and make his bed tidy (before collapsing for good?).
It was always either my son or my daughter who ran errands for him and in return they got his blessings in abundance.
It was a Sunday. My father had an account with The Catholic Syrian Bank (CSB) opened perhaps decades ago. He loved the bank for its Malayalee atmosphere. He had free access to the manager’s cabin and would speak to his heart’s content in Malayalam with the Brahmin lady manager from Thrissur. Later when it became difficult to climb the stairs of the bank building, he made me a joint account holder. The Bank is open on Sundays too. There was this sudden reshuffle of staff and Mr. J J a Christian took over as Bank manager from the lady.
My son was once given a ‘self cheque’ and told to withdraw some money. My son finished the bank job and as usual after loitering all over, he came home and gave his grandpa the money. When my father counted he found an extra hundred rupee note in the bundle. He gave a nice dressing down to my son, “Nee oru aayirathettan aakkum, poruppu poraathu etc etc.” for not counting the money at the counter and insisted that the same be returned forthwith. He also called up the Bank and informed them of the error. Calm prevailed thereafter. The event was a sequel. I never imagined at that time that months later, this incident was to have a great impact on some other total strangers.

Cut to Mid 2004 (after nearly 6 months??)

I was at the counter of CSB– a routine visit to update our pass Book.

“But madam, what is this debit amount shown?” I queried reconciling my Passbook...
“Well, sir, that’s a penalty imposed for not maintaining the minimum balance”, she answered.
“But then we always had an extra balance of over the minimum specified.” I pleaded
“Not enough, sir ever since the later half of the month of May. Since you have given us ‘standing instructions’ to pay your electricity Bills every month on demand automatically, you require to maintain a minimum balance of rupees five thousand! at all times and at any time for availing such facilities.” She clarified.
“Since when?” I asked.
“Please sir, speak to the Bank manger”, she terminated the conversation as other customers were getting impatient.
So I knocked and went into the manager’s cabin and introduced myself after the usual greetings for the first time. Unfortunately for me the interaction was not pleasant. I explained to Mr.. J J. the situation. He was brusque, not cooperative and very unfriendly.
“Yeah! We got the memo from our regional office last month. The minimum you have to keep for services like ‘standing instructions’ is now revised as rupees five thousand with effect from 15th May. It is all in black and white in English put up on the notice board. You may read it.” He admonished. There were others in the cabin wondering what had gone wrong? Why was the manger in such a foul mood?
Well……. He had a point. I never read their notice board which contained amongst many other points the details about their next union meetings, new canteen timings etc etc.
When I reached home my dad’s hawk eye on scrutiny did not escape this debit entry.
“What is this son?” he queried.
“O some paltry sum they have debited for……..” I mumbled so as not to invite his wrath for not reading the notice board regularly..
“For what”, he insisted.
I had to explain all that humiliating experience that was meted out to me at the Bank.
After what appeared to be a long silence, and introspection, he said,
“But then we are clear, son! It is the bank’s mistake”
“What do you mean Appa?” I said.
“Look. When did you say their memo is effective from?” my father.
“15th May” said I
“That’s the very day Lathika went and deposited cash of rupees Four thousand. So our balance has never fallen below rupees five thousand at any time after 15 May. Obviously there is some mistake. They have faltered and not credited our cash whatever be the reason.
He at once picked up the phone and called up Mr. J J.
“Alright. If it is so, we will examine and make amends by making a reverse entry.” Mr. J J assured. I would have left it at that. Not my father.
“Yeah. But how about all that bull……. You let lose on my son?” my father seemed to whisper to himself..
The phone went dead.
My father was late for his lunch. But he called my son; dictated a strong note to H Q CSB threatening them that he would withdraw our clientele once and for all and also his ‘Acharya’ FDs. (though very paltry amount by bank’s standard) and sent an email accordingly. Prompt came a reply from the H Q saying that they would send some one from Chennai region to investigate.
Next week a call came from our bank. An officer had been specially deputed to sort out the matter and requested that I be available.
“Yes, sir. Tell us what it is all about?” the officer began.
“The fact is that we never fell short of the minimum balance of rupees five thousand any time commencing 15th May” I pleaded
“Yes, we have checked the records. What you say is true. Your cash deposit entry was wrongly posted elsewhere to some other account. We're sorry, but the teller made a mistake.”
I then told the visitors the story of the extra hundred rupee note. I finished by saying, “This was even when it was causing a loss to the bank, and embarrassment to the teller and when my father caught the error during the transaction. How much the more would have been so afterward! I expect my bank to behave with at least as much integrity and nicety as my father.”
The branch manager had not said a word during all of this, and his silence continued as I sat back in my chair. I had no idea of how the visiting executive was going to react.
When he began to speak, his voice was soft, and he said in a dignified manner: “The Catholic Syrian Bank, sir, will not be less than your father.”
Then he promised that all the charges made to our account for that minimum cash penalty would be reversed.
“And yes! Please do convey our apologies to your father”
“Sure”, I said. I took a step forward and pinned a miniature metal aircraft on the visitor’s lapel. What else could an ex-Air force guy do? I had anticipated this pleasant meeting and I was prepared with the memento.
As I thanked him and stood to leave, I was grateful that even in today's impersonal business world, a tale of integrity still had power to touch the heart and sway the conscience.
Did I notice some moisture in the visitor’s eyes? Or was it my imagination?

Warmest rgds
V V R
20th Jul 06.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home